Re: opes and technology picks

2001-06-21 21:19:27

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:19:35 EDT, Keith Moore said:
the point I was trying to make is that the services which OPES enable
should not be interposed between provider and audience without affirmative
consent by at least one of those parties - as opposed to a model in
which the services could be interposed by a third partry without either
of the endpoints' explicit consent as long as neither endpoint specifically
objected.

Point made quite well this time, I think.

Now if we only had a grip on what language we should use to deal with
things like Tony Hain's "rogue java applet" scenario.  I was around for
the same discussion for MIME a decade ago, and I'm convinced we made the
right choices on the technical design - but we could have done a lot
better at pointing out the dangers in not being *very* careful in
handling active content.

To paraphrase a T-shirt/poster:

"See Dick."

"See Dick Drink."

"See Dick Drink and handle active content."

"See Dick Crash."

"Dont be a Dick."

/Valdis