Re: opes and technology picks

2001-06-22 11:58:22

On 22 Jun 2001 at 13:44 -0400, Keith Moore apparently wrote:
I don't see any way that OPES should be allowed to specify a means by which
third parties (like ISPs) can modify packets in transit.  That is an
abhorrent practice, which IETF should not legitimize.

Since this is by request, the only abhorrent part would be if when the
replacement or extra stream is finally delivered to you, it appears to
have come from the original source.  The rest I can live with.
Apparently the plan is that you have to ask explicitly that the packets
coming your way be diverted to some point where they are absorbed and a
new stream is sent your way -- packets are not modified, they are either
passed through or replaced completely.  Mail relays do something close
to that all the time, they just aren't as sophisticated in the request
and redirect mechanism.  However, you still know where the new packets
actually were sent from.

What will OPES-ified content have for source addresses?

...Scott