Re: Tentative OPES Agenda for IETF 53

2002-03-12 21:27:25

Hi,

quick comment on the "Personalization" discussion started by Paul's email below: The WG is NOT addressing or designing specific applications as work items. As such, the design and specification of a "Personalization Service" is NOT in scope. However, as the WG addresses the work items outlined in the charter, it will consider the requirements and needs of different application areas, with "Personalization Services" possibly being one out of many. The group will then discuss whether or not OPES can/should meet these specific requirements, and how they impact the various work items on the OPES charter.

As such, discussions on "Personalization Services" and other application areas should be centered around (a) a concrete and specific application example, (b) how this application might impact or change a high-level OPES architecture (or not), and (c) how this might impact the specific work items on the charter (e.g. callout/tracing protocol, endpoint authorization, threat model, etc.) The outcome of such discussions would serve as input for the WG documents as outlined in the charter, but NOT in separate, application-specific documents. Hilarie's previous email on how "personalization" will/will not impact the architecture might be a good starting point for such a discussion.

-Markus

Paul Knight wrote:
Hi,

Although I agree the workgroup charter and IAB considerations are obviously the primary focus of our work, I did want to point out another two (non-WG) IDs which contain valuable input to the discussions:

- draft-barbir-opes-spcs-01.txt, "Requirements for an OPES Service Personalization Callout Server", which contains some good discussion of callout server issues

- draft-barbir-opes-fsp-01.txt, "A Framework for Service Personalization". In addition to personalization elements, this also contains a useful section on threat analysis and security mechanisms, which may be a good starting point for these issues across OPES.

I hope these will be useful as input to the WG discussions.

Regards,
Paul