RE: Capability Negotiation for OCP

2003-04-21 08:17:14

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Oskar Batuner wrote:

Did we have made a decision on BEEP?

No.

The BEEP discussion had no conclusive end, in fact for me it looks
more like a pause. There were pros and cons discussed, more pros
than cons, but no conclusion.

The discussion is not over. We now know at least two ways to map OCP
to BEEP. We still need to compare BEEP with other candidates.

If we are going to adopt BEEP many things will be shaped by that.

Yes, as with any other existing transport protocol. At this time, I
have a more-or-less clear picture of how to map OCP to BEEP. I would
like proponents of other approaches (Abbie for SOAP and Hilarie for
OCPTRAN) to argue their positions, either "in general" or "relative to
BEEP", whatever format they prefer. I tried to ask a few questions
about SOAP and OCPTRAN to facilitate this discussion.

I would also like to hear Martin Stecher's opinion on transport
selection. As ICAP fan, Martin may want to push for HTTP as the
transport to make OCP look like ICAP/2.0. I did say that HTTP is not
ideal transport for OCP, but we have to keep many factors in mind when
selecting the protocol. If we consider SOAP because Web Services use
SOAP, we must consider HTTP because ICAP servers use HTTP.