RE: OCP transport nomination

2003-04-24 14:44:55

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, The Purple Streak, Hilarie Orman wrote:

This looks pretty good.  The major performance issue is whether or
not the content message headers can be easily parsed without calling
any XML library.  The second issue is the same question for
transaction establishment.  The examples make it look quite easy.
It is imperative that we be able to avoid calling XML libraries for
these operations.

If we do not use XML for our own (OCP) purposes, then whether you need
sophisticated XML parsing libraries/code depends on how compliant you
want your implementation to be.

For example, in most cases, one can just search (a simple strstr(3) in
C) for the only profile ID that implementation supports without even
understading XML! This will, of course, lead to compliance violations
and interoperability problems. But you could have a configuration
option (fast versus compliant parser).

It is probably also possible to write a OCP/BEEP-optimized XML parser
that remains compliant but fast and correctly ignores anything that
OCP/BEEP does not care about. It is more work that strstr(), but it is
not a lot of work. I suspect implementations concerned about XML and
performance will do something like that unless they really do not care
about compliance.