RE: AW: Using XML in OCP transport

2003-05-09 14:56:36

Alex,

Can you please elaborate on some of the points in your comparison chart:

Polished ICAP/1.1

What specific problems should be solved? What problems remain?
How will it work with non-HTTP application protocols, especially
streaming? If I recall correctly streaming was declared as a
"desired" goal.

Also I'm afraid I cannot agree with the following consideration:

      - little incentive to upgrade existing ICAP installations and
        implementations

IMHO the incentive is driven by the problems solved in the new version,
not by the passion for innovation. If an upgrade solves important
problem - incentive becomes high, if this upgrade is small - incentive
becomes even higher. The same applies to BEEP - in my view the following
two positions contradict one another:

      - more incentive to upgrade existing ICAP installations and
        implementations
      - more difficult migration path

Another question - OCP on top of BEEP vs. OCP/OCPTRAN:

Do you agree with the following statement:

The most attractive/useful BEEP features for OCP are security
negotiation mechanism and channel control/multiplexing connection,
the most problematic are XML syntax and message exchange styles.

If yes - we can combine the best of two worlds by copying
security and channel control mechanisms and just describing them
in HTTP style syntax. A kind of "white box reuse". Should also
satisfy some of "IETF powers" concerns as we do not invent any
new and maybe inferior transport mechanisms - just grammar.

Oskar