Re: Strawman OPES Charter

2004-07-13 07:17:24

Abbie Barbir wrote:

If we are going to re-select, should we start with a "language requirements" document?
obsultly, yes we should do a requirement document.

I disagree on this one. We already spent plenty of time discussing requirements and writing them down in the "Policy, Authorization and Enforcement Requirements of OPES" document. I don't want to start all over again.

I assume that the rules work will be based on "P", as we've already burned many cycles over this. Unless somethig imprtant has changed, let's start from there.

Finally, are the following items in scope? - Defining how available services become known to the rules language interpreter? (At least OCP-speaking services)

-- abbie yes, even if we state that is hard coded (in the least case)

Service discovery is out-of-scope for this round.

- Defining an interface between rules language and service (at least OCP-speaking service) How to pass parameters to services? How to get the result of service application, including errors, back to the language/program?

--- abbie this is a muddy situation. we can rely on other work or at least
reference how they handel it (examples, BPEL, CDL etc..)

Not sure whether we all talk about the same thing here. To me, all we need is a way that allows us to specify parameters to be passed on to a service and to consider the result of a service invocation in later rules.

For example something like

 if (condition is true)
  invoke (Service A with parameters x, y, z)
 if (result of Service A was OK)
  do this.

other objectives:
1. Security for OCP, should we mention that the group might attempt to
do that as part of the charter or not. It can be a MAY deleiverable.

No MAY deliverables. Either we do it or we don't. At the moment, I would *not* feel comfortable to broaden the scope. Let's get the currently discussed items done, and then we can take on new ones.

2. Need to ensure that IAB requirements are still applicable to any new
protocol we address. This MUST be in the charter. Our previous work
addressed the general acrhitcecture but has focused on HTTP.

This is already in the proposed charter, you probably overlooked it. It says "Each deliverable must follow the previously developed OPES architecture. As each deliverable is developed, it must address the IAB considerations specified in RFC 3238.'

Thanks,
  Markus