Re: Strawman OPES Charter

2004-07-13 14:25:24

jfcm wrote:

So far, we've specified a OCP/HTTP profile that supports services operating on HTTP messages. Now we specify a OCP/SMTP profile that supports services operating on SMTP messages.

This is why the same phrasing should be used.

Here's what we've in currently proposed charter"

  So far, the WG has specified an OCP profile for HTTP, which supports
  OPES services that operate on HTTP messages.

and

  [...] the WG will specify one or more OCP profiles that will support
  applications operating on SMTP messages.

I think this is exactly what I describe above and you agreed on, so we're in agreement here.

The answer does not match the question. In one to one direct access http, I know who are the parties. I one to many possibly rerouted mailing I do not know what you mean by parties. Has to be clarified otherwise the whole thing will be opposed on security grounds.

Hm, you bring up a good point. For example, your asking who are the endpoints when I send an email to a mailing list, right? I've one source endpoint, but multiple destination endpoints. So it's not sufficient if only one of the endpoints authorizes a service.

Now, in case of this example, sending to the mailing list results basically in multiple transmissions to individuals, in which case we're back to a scenario with two endpoints.

Any thoughts from anyone?

That is meant to say "...HTTP or SMTP messages". Will change that.

I am not sure about what you mean in this as SMTP Messages when you refer to HTTP Messages. You will find that SMTP will probably used in OPES related application as application signal and message transport. Even if you do not want to take theses mechanisms in consideration, what IMHO removes a lot of interest to effort when you consider real life applications - for example spam fighting, I suggest a clearer wording to avoid this confusion.

Not sure whether I understood the above, but the wording now is "Define a rules language to control the selection and invocation of HTTP-based or SMTP-based OPES services." which I would assumeto be adequatly clear.