RE: [saag] Further MD5 breaks: Creating a rogue CA certificate

2008-12-30 18:38:47

Peter,

Roots need not be replaced since they need protected migration and
storage.

Since the attack is computing pre-image, I suspect that past MD5
certificates are safe until the attack was devised.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-pkix(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-pkix(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org]
On Behalf Of Peter Hesse
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 4:40 PM
To: 'RL 'Bob' Morgan'; 'Paul Hoffman'
Cc: ietf-pkix(_at_)imc(_dot_)org; ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org;
saag(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; cfrg(_at_)irtf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: [saag] Further MD5 breaks: Creating a rogue CA certificate

Ceasing the issuance of certificates with MD5 used in the signature
doesn't
solve the problem of the certificates that have already been issued and
are
still out there, any number of which may be rogue.

Replacing, or marking as untrusted all root certificates which have any
current valid (i.e. non-expired, non-revoked) certificates with MD5 used
in
the signature could have tremendous undesirable impact and be an
untenable
solution.

The right tool for the job is a client-side solution to fail validation
of
any signature which uses MD5, especially certificate signatures.  I will
not
hold my breath for such a solution.

--Peter

 Peter Hesse                       pmhesse(_at_)geminisecurity(_dot_)com
 http://securitymusings.com         http://geminisecurity.com