Re: clarification re 2821, s4.1.4

2002-08-17 14:04:13

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 04:33:44PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
 An SMTP server MAY verify that the domain name parameter in the EHLO
 command actually corresponds to the IP address of the client.

the last thing we need is to give people more excuses to implement
stupid policies.

Indeed.  I would say there something like this:

  The experience with various desktop MUA softwares since early 1990es
  shows that those generate all manners of variously faulty HELO/EHLO
  parameter data making usefullness of the data testing highly
  questionable.  Put the received parameter data into the trace header
  (see n.n.n) along with literal IP address of the remote host.

(fill in the section number)

--
/Matti Aarnio   <mea(_at_)nic(_dot_)funet(_dot_)fi>