Re: clarification re 2821, s4.1.4

2002-08-17 19:08:20

on 8/17/2002 7:47 PM John C Klensin wrote:

Eric, I don't disagree with this.  2821 doesn't disagree with
this -- all it says is that "if you make the test, and it fails,
don't reject the message for that reason".

You and I (and a couple of others) may agree that the lack of a
prohibition against subsequent policy decisions does not equate to a
prohibition against those decision. However, a quick reading through this
thread shows that there are people who have interpreted the existing text
as just that.

Therein lies the problem. Either you explicitly state it and resolve the
dilemma or you continue leaving the interpretation to the reader. My own
personal experience -- and the raison d'etre for this thread -- suggests
the latter has not worked particularly well when trying to convince people
that they are in fact allowed to filter on whatever they well want,
including the EHLO identifier.

At least I now have the editor of the RFC backing me up, which is good
enough for my purposes. Over and out.