Re: email standards proposal for 'bulk' mail

2003-10-20 12:38:28

The problem of spam is creating a race, as I see it, between voluntary standards of the sort which have governed the Internet to date, and government imposed standards of the sort which I expect lawyers, legislators, and bureaucrats to favor.

If voluntary organizations (including businesses!) can reduce the scale of the problem, to a level where it is not attractive as an issue for aspiring politicians, then I hope the lawyers and politicians will go foraging elsewhere.

But -- the race is on ...

Rich Hammer
Hillsborough, N.C.