Re: RFC 2821 Address Resolution

2004-01-04 22:43:11
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:10:21 EST, Hector Santos said:

In regards to RFC2821, section 5, saying:

There seems to be a conflict between this and the following itemized rule in
RFC1123:

The world has moved on since 1123 was written.  I don't think in October 1989,
*ANYBODY* had the sort of mail infrastructure where multiple MXs and multiple As
were in use to load-balance.  It was strictly "One MX with one A record for our
on-site server, and another MX pointing to a single A record offsite".  I
remember
at that time, Marc Crispin was an oddity because he had 4 MX's defined, all on
separate continents...

http://www.isc.org/ds/host-count-history.html  says that October 1989, there
were 159,000 hosts. Total.  That's only 5 times what *my site* has today.

But what do I know?  I once helped multihome a machine on Bitnet and Arpanet/
Milnet, and Bitnet was the larger network at the time.. ;)