Re: CBV systems - was Re: SMTP Extensions - proper peply code for disabled commands

2004-01-16 11:19:58
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:01:45 EST, Hector Santos said:
HELO:
          allows for quick sender/machine validation

You seem to have this hangup on needing to use the HELO/EHLO for validation,
when (a) it's *KNOWN* to be incorrect/broken in some cases and (b) you already
have *THE ACTUAL IP ADDRESS*, which is more likely to give you something
usable.

From the message you replied to:

        by above.proper.com (8.12.10/8.12.8) with ESMTP id i0GHbIib009295
        for  <ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>; Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:37:19 -0800

Yes, my laptop has a hostname.  No, it doesn't correspond to the DNS reality
unless it's in its docking station in my office. Yes, it's on a dialup at the
moment. Yes, it gave the hostname it thought it had on the EHLO.  No, trying to
double- check what it said on the ELHO won't do you much good, that will just
point you back at the docking station in my office. Yes, trying to chase back
the actual IP address and/or the PTR for the IP address is more likely to do
you any good.

*NOW* do you see why we object to making the protocol more complicated just so
you can double check something that's NOT a good validator of ANYTHING?