Re: CBV systems - was Re: SMTP Extensions - proper peply code for disabled commands

2004-01-15 07:15:26

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:

    > > Very little spammers use a NULL address because it
    > > reinforces further DSN checking that will fail their transaction.
    >
    > Of course, systems that do such checking are broken. Nothing says that a
    > NULL address signals a DSN.

    And in fact, LSoft's Listserv product does this.  It will send
    things like cookie confirmations for subscription requests with a
    MAIL FROM:<>...

And I'll go a step further.  I've been doing this for years (way before
spam was the problem it is today) not only with confirmation requests
but almost all auto-responder messages.

You commented about the failed message being useless but more to the
point, just what action would you take if you got one?  I suppose you
could log it but to what end?

I've always used the NULL MAIL FROM: because to do otherwise
unnecessarily uses resources.

Jim