Re: Some Ideas I would like to Bounce off ya

2004-02-10 10:46:11

Valdis,

Did you read the entire message or did you stop at the very first "Gotcha"
and say "Ah Ha!"

The reasons you cited here are way off and wrong.  If you would like to try
again,  please take the time to read the entire message and feel free to
find all the "real" gotchas.  I'm looking forward to it.

http://www.santronics.com

----- Original Message -----
From: <Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu>
To: "Hector Santos" <winserver(_dot_)support(_at_)winserver(_dot_)com>
Cc: "IETF-SMTP" <ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 11:46 AM
Subject: Re: Some Ideas I would like to Bounce off ya

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 04:21:17 EST, Hector Santos
<winserver(_dot_)support(_at_)winserver(_dot_)com>  said:

By proposal a special  MX domain name format which includes this
information, and even possibly using the preference with a hi/lo 2 word
concept.  Lo word having the preference value, the hi word having bit map
flags.

Gaak.

Don't go there. There's a *reason* why all those proposals use either
a specially structured TXT or invent a new RR.

MX'es are a standardized DNS query format, with very specific structure
and semantics.  Hacking them up would basically screw every single one of
the millions of deployed DNS resolvers - which would be *totally* within
their rights to say "I did a MX query, got back a format that doesn't look
like the MX standard, so it's obviously broken and to be discarded. Whoops,
'550 Host Unknown'.

Feel free to be the first to deploy your modified MX in a situation where
falling back to an A record doesn't work.  There's an MX for 'vt.edu',
but no A record for same.  Won't fly here.  You can't find the MX for us,
you can't e-mail us.  And with a modified MX, nobody will find a valid one.

I have to admit, it *would* solve the spam problem. ;)