Re: Submission and SMTP SRV records

2004-03-17 17:01:21

--On 2004-3-17 5:28 PM -0600 "Eric A. Hall" <ehall(_at_)ehsco(_dot_)com> wrote:

Simplifying the one-time configuration, for one thing. Instead of
asking mom to answer a bunch of questions like server, port number,
TLS, etc., just ask for her email address and password, and see if
the config can figure out the rest.

But how does this handle the multiple-address case? Or even the DHCP-based DSL user?

E.g. I am d64-180-42-52.bchsia.telus.net according to the DNS, but my email host parts can be any of orthanc.ca, oarsank.ca, mulberry.com, ve6bbm.ampr.org, or ve0wx.ampr.org. For two of these domains I can control the SRV records, but for the other three I have to hardwire the client with the SMTP server host (and authentication details). And since I have to hand configure the auth details anyway, how much more work is it to plug in a hostname?

I guess I'm not disagreeing that SRV won't help, but in a practical sense I'm not convinced it really solves much of a problem.

--lyndon