Re: Can reputable domains stop outgoing spam?

2005-03-11 06:09:57

Still zeroing in on the question. Sorry if this sounds like a cross-examination, but I want to make sure I'm not basing my whole strategy on a faulty assumption.

Reputable domains will eliminate 99% of their outgoing spam, as AOL has done.

this doesn't happen without impairing the ability of the mail system to carry legitimate mail.

Has AOL suffered any impairment?

I have had a couple of reports of legitimate email being bounced due to AOL using SPF. The mail was sent from an AOL user to an address on a non-AOL server, and that address was set to forward to an AOL account.

Do you know what caused the problem? Some other replies have confused the issue with problems on the *incoming* side. AOL is leaning on other domains to clean up their spam, and it may be that the forwarder has a problem.

SPF breaks forwarding <http://spf.pobox.com/faq.html#forwarding>.

I'm interested in what impairment AOL has suffered as a result of their policy to eliminate *outgoing* spam.

Outgoing spam from AOL systems, or outgoing spam from other systems with AOL domains in the email addresses?

If the former, what is their policy to eliminate outgoing outgoing spam from their systems, and what are the relevant technical issues?

I'm interested in what impairment AOL has suffered as a result of their policy to eliminate *outgoing* spam from *AOL systems*. See <http://www.circleid.com/article/917_0_1_0_C/>http://www.circleid.com/article/917_0_1_0_C for a discussion of their policy and claims "Spam is a completely solvable problem." and "We do not send it anymore."

-- Dave

* David MacQuigg, PhD              * email:  dmq'at'gci-net.com   *  *
* IC Design Engineer               * phone:  USA 520-721-4583  *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                  *  *  *
*                                  * 9320 East Mikelyn Lane     * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.             * Tucson, Arizona 85710        *