Re: slow email validation problems (was reject vs bounce)

2005-09-14 05:13:29

This makes all known servers with a "30 second automatic accept policy"
targets for abuse.

You can't have both ways :-)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arnt Gulbrandsen" <arnt(_at_)gulbrandsen(_dot_)priv(_dot_)no>
To: <ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 7:07 AM
Subject: Re: slow email validation problems (was reject vs bounce)

Sorry, I didn't see this mail until now.

Paul Smith writes:
The 'easiest' thing to do is to accept the message if it's going to
take over 30 seconds to process, and generate a 'bounce' later if
necessary - but I don't like that because of faked sender addresses.

Excellent plan.

Tweak the timeout so 99% of the rejections are in the SMTP session and
less than 1% using bounces, and you'll be fine.

I've heard good things about delays of 36 and 46 seconds. To my mind,
both seem a little long, but people I know have had good experience
with those timeouts.

Arnt