Re: slow email validation problems (was reject vs bounce)

2005-09-14 07:09:14

--On onsdag, september 14, 2005 14:16:06 +0100 Paul Smith <paul(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

I hear lots of people saying 'you shouldn't have long delays', and 'you
shouldn't do accept and bounce later' - but what should you do then, just
drive users away from SMTP email by sending lots of spam and viruses into
their mailboxes?

"lots of people" may have a point.....

What I'm trying to do is to point out that the "hold while I check your mail" alternative has costs too; some of them may actually be higher than some of the others.

Finding the "best" engineering compromise involves understanding (or at least attempting to guess at) the cost of all of them.

                      Harald