Terminology: Administrative <?>

2005-09-21 22:29:22
Folks,

I'm starting to revise the email-arch draft and am looking to resolve a
terminology choice.

The current draft refers to a collectively-managed set of email components --
as distinct from some other, independent collectively-managed set of
components -- as an Administrative Unit (AU).  Examples might be a personal
MTA, as one AU, an email hosting service as another, an integrated service
(AOL, Yahoo, MSN, etc) as another, and so on.

My impression is that folks do not love that term AE.

We need *some* term, so that such references as "boundary MTA" can be
meaningful -- what is it the boundary of?

I had originally used the term "Administrative Domain" but now believe the
second word should only be used to refer to a Domain Name or the DNS.

My current thought is "Administrative Environment" (AE), per the attached
example.

What term would folks prefer?

d/

--