Re: RFC2821b is-01 Issue 1: trailing dot in Domain (was: Re: domain name definition in RFC2821)

2007-03-23 09:49:10

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 11:58:50AM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:

Let me remind this group about earlier notes from Lisa and Tony:
we have agreed to do this work as an effort to create RFC2821bis
and move it to Draft.  It is reasonable to oppose that effort,
but the result you would be asking for would not, e.g., a WG to
review and possibly alter the basic provisions of 2821 but a WG
whose charter includes opening up and possibly changing
fundamental mail properties.

My position on this matter:

It is 2821 which tries to change a fundamental mail property:
821 allows all domains, no exception.  2821 allows all domains
except top level domains.

The trailing dot issue (less important IMHO) is a bug in 821
and should/could have been fixed in 2821.

I will now rest my case.  Do with it as you see fit.

Alex