Re: RFC2821b is-01 Issue 1: trailing dot in Domain (was: Re: domain name definition in RFC2821)

2007-03-23 10:00:16

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 11:58:50AM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:

Let me remind this group about earlier notes from Lisa and Tony:
we have agreed to do this work as an effort to create RFC2821bis
and move it to Draft.  It is reasonable to oppose that effort,
but the result you would be asking for would not, e.g., a WG to
review and possibly alter the basic provisions of 2821 but a WG
whose charter includes opening up and possibly changing
fundamental mail properties.

My position on this matter:

It is 2821 which tries to change a fundamental mail property:
821 allows all domains, no exception.  2821 allows all domains
except top level domains.

The trailing dot issue (less important IMHO) is a bug in 821
and should/could have been fixed in 2821.

I will now rest my case.  Do with it as you see fit.

I add my support to what Alex said. TLD by itself without trailing
dot should be permitted and syntax changed to allow it. An informational
note should should be added (as per 4) about that if email is received across mail network boundary it should be considered TLD where as inside local network email servers may use its own mechanism to distinguish between TLD name and name of the host (partial domain).

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks