Re: RFC2821bis-01 Issue 3: EHLO parameter

2007-03-29 12:04:30

--On Thursday, 29 March, 2007 14:11 -0400 "Robert A. Rosenberg"
<hal9001(_at_)panix(_dot_)com> wrote:

At 08:34 -0400 on 03/29/2007, John C Klensin wrote about Re:
RFC2821bis-01 Issue 3: EHLO parameter:

Do you see cases in the wild in which a client goes to the
trouble to do ESMTP AUTH and get it right and still can't
manage a correct domain name?

I can point out a case where this occurs. I use the Mac
Version of Eudora (at the 6.4.2 level as I document by my
injected X-Mailer Header) and it uses my LAN firewall IP
Address (192.168.1.11) in its EHLO not the DynDNS FQDN for my
Connection (I run a private DNS Server what has the DynDNS
host name connected to my rDNS PTR record so it is Accessible
to but not used by the MUA).

That case has been fairly well discussed on-list.  Your
submission server (whether over the Submit port or over SMTP) is
breaking the rules as soon as it injects that address into the
public Internet.  What it chooses to accept from you is its own
problem.

     john