Re: RFC2821bis-01 Issue 3: EHLO parameter

2007-03-29 18:03:22

At 14:50 -0400 on 03/29/2007, John C Klensin wrote about Re: RFC2821bis-01 Issue 3: EHLO parameter:

--On Thursday, 29 March, 2007 14:11 -0400 "Robert A. Rosenberg"
<hal9001(_at_)panix(_dot_)com> wrote:

 At 08:34 -0400 on 03/29/2007, John C Klensin wrote about Re:
 RFC2821bis-01 Issue 3: EHLO parameter:

 Do you see cases in the wild in which a client goes to the
 trouble to do ESMTP AUTH and get it right and still can't
 manage a correct domain name?

 I can point out a case where this occurs. I use the Mac
 Version of Eudora (at the 6.4.2 level as I document by my
 injected X-Mailer Header) and it uses my LAN firewall IP
 Address (192.168.1.11) in its EHLO not the DynDNS FQDN for my
 Connection (I run a private DNS Server what has the DynDNS
 host name connected to my rDNS PTR record so it is Accessible
 to but not used by the MUA).

That case has been fairly well discussed on-list.  Your
submission server (whether over the Submit port or over SMTP) is
breaking the rules as soon as it injects that address into the
public Internet.  What it chooses to accept from you is its own
problem.

     john

As shown by the Received Header of my comment:

my correct FQDN and IPN are documented even though I did not supply them in my EHLO or Message-ID:

BTW: There is supposed to be a Eudora setting to fix this problem (ie: Force a DNS look-up and only fall-back to IPN upon failure) but the code seems to be broken.