Re: RFC2821bis-01 Issue 3: EHLO parameter

2007-03-29 12:06:26

At 05:34 29-03-2007, John C Klensin wrote:
We all understand that anything resembling a syntax error in the
EHLO argument (i.e., not meeting the syntax requirements for a
domain name) is an error that lies completely outside the
existing restriction on rejection, don't we?

Yes, as the text is clearer in the draft with the reference to Section 7.8.

Does that need to be more explicit?

No.

In Section 4.1.4:

"The SMTP client MUST, if possible, ensure that the domain parameter to the EHLO command
  is a valid principal host name (not a CNAME or MX  name) for its host."

you use "valid principal host name". I suggest that it be changed to:

"The SMTP client MUST, if possible, ensure that the domain parameter to the EHLO command is a primary host name (a domain name that resolves to an A RR) for its host."

That's the same as what is specified in Section 2.3.5 for the EHLO command.

Regards,
-sm