Re: Conflicting Enhanced Status Codes between RFC 4468 and draft-siemborski-rfc2554bis

2007-04-10 08:13:44

Tony Hansen wrote:

I expanded out the lists of what values are being pulled out of where.

There is an issue of what to do with the values X.7.8 through X.7.13.
These were all defined in a draft that has since expired
(draft-newman-auth-resp-00.txt), but have been used in other documents
such as draft-siemborski-rfc2554bis.

As a strawman, I pulled in versions of the definitions from that draft.

I also introduced X.7.14 and X.7.15 to replace the competing uses of
X.7.8. Is this the best way to handle this conflict?
After talking to Chris, both Chris and I think that X.7.8 should be used by draft-siemborski-rfc2554bis, as it was originally defined in draft-newman-auth-resp-00.txt (in 1998) and at least Exim uses it. I don't think that people who've implemented SMTP AUTH are likely to switch to X.7.15.
rfc4468bis should be updated to use X.7.14.