Re: recap rfc2821bis-01 Issue 17: all contination lines must use same code

2007-04-12 14:45:11

At 15:20 -0400 on 04/11/2007, Tony Hansen wrote about Re: recap rfc2821bis-01 Issue 17: all contination lines mus:

Please state your preference for one of the following. (I've broken
John's (ii) into two parts.)

        (i) Do nothing, leaving the text as is
        (ii-a) Make it clear that the codes may be different and
        that clients are expected to respect the *last* value listed
        (ii-b) Make it clear that the codes may be different and
        that clients are expected to respect the *first* value listed
        (iii) Prohibit different codes and, optionally, suggest
        that it is ok for a client to select one of them and
        assume that all of the others are the same.

While I can see a reason for splitting ii into ii-a and ii-b so as to document the two options, I do feel that a usage example for ii-b should provided to should a valid case where ii-b is justified (as was done for the 150-I'm_working_on_it case that was associated with ii-a). If none can be provided, I think the option list should be trimmed back to i/ii/iii with the ii having the proposed ii-a text (IOW: The codes can differ BUT the last one is the one to use) possibly saying that the continued codes should be parsed not just ignored.

Also, I do not like the optional "Pick One" authority in iii. If you are going to ignore the LAST result (the only valid one in a "Here is my result" case when the prior replies are intermediate status updates [as in the 150 case] as opposed to a single continuation reply such as the EHLO 250) you should verify that all the codes are the same and error out if they are different.

IOW: I vote for a wording that makes EXPLICATE that the last reply (in a status vs. list case) is the only VALID reply and that prior replies must not be substituted for it in any case where different codes are permitted. I thus vote for either ii-a or iii (but iii only with the "optional" permission REQUIRING that the others be validated for consistency - IOW: If you pick the non-Last code, you must not ignore the others by not checking for consistency and just ASSUME they are/will-be the same).