Re: rfc2821bis-01 Issue 18: Usability of 1yz replies

2007-04-22 17:15:06

Hector Santos wrote:

Even after all the screaming that the SMTP server is now broken for what
would was perfectly legal for 25 years but now is insanely made illegal
in 2821bis, I'm willing to bet that you STILL write your CLIENT code, if
not already, to accept this:

   150-
   150-
   250

I've never written a real SMTP client (just some throwaway test code),
so maybe you're right.  Nevertheless, I don't believe that mixed reply
codes were *ever* legal.  The RFCs weren't 100% explicit, but I bet a
poll of random RFC readers would yield a huge majority who believe the
above behaviour is disallowed by the RFCs.

Since the whole point of this exercise is to clarify the RFCs, not to
change them in a major way, it makes sense to spell out what pretty
much everyone interprets to be the case.

Also, as I've stated before, the only use case you've presented
(to try to trick a client into extending its timeout) is a hackish "fix"
for a problem that should be solved, not patched over.

--
David.