Re: rfc2821bis-03 Issue 25: Re: Recap Issues 0b/21/25

2007-04-30 14:14:36

John C Klensin wrote:

Speaking personally, I believe that we cannot "make it
permissible" to silently drop messages, absent policy
considerations about the individual message, without requiring
support for delivery notifications.

I agree.

So my question remains:  Do we want to spell out explicitly that:

   Where there is a non-null Return-Path, a "proper failure report"
   MUST consist of an notification sent to the Return-Path unless
   policy considerations about the individual message dictate
   otherwise.  In any event, a proper failure report SHOULD permit an
   operator to reconstruct the nature of the delivery failure, the
   original sender, and the failed recipients.

Regards,

David.