Re: Greylisting pitfalls (was Re: 2821bis consideration - New 2nd attempt Retry Strategy recommendation)

2007-11-17 11:57:20
On 2007-11-17 09:37:27 -0500, David F. Skoll wrote:
Tempfailing RCPT commands will cause interoperability problems with certain
broken SMTP implementations, specifically ones from Lotus.  Here's what
happens.  S is the server doing greylisting and C is the broken Lotus client:

S: 220 foo.example.com ESMTP
C: HELO busted.lotus.box
S: 250 foo.example.com Hello busted.lotus.box
C: MAIL FROM:<bob(_at_)example(_dot_)net>
S: 250 Go ahead
C: RCPT TO:<jane(_at_)example(_dot_)com>
S: 451 Greylisting in effect, try again later
C: RCPT TO:<bill(_at_)example(_dot_)com>
S: 451 Greylisting in effect, try again later
C: DATA
S: 503 Need valid recipient first
C: QUIT

at which point busted.lotus.box generates a non-delivery notification.

Just out of curiosity: Which version of Lotus was this? We've been using
Greylisting for more than 4 years now and Lotus Domino so far hasn't
made it onto my list of software which doesn't cope with greylisting
(Even though we use it ourselves). I do know behaviour such as you
describe from Novell Groupwise ...

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | It took a genius to create [TeX],
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | and it takes a genius to maintain it.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |    -- David Kastrup in comp.text.tex