Re: Lists and aliases (Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) to Draft Standard (1))

2007-12-14 12:43:12
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:49:58 PST, Dave Crocker said:

In some environments, it is deemed more important for an original author to
know that there message did not get fully delivered, than to notify the list
admin of the problem.

It of course makes sense that the original author be notified if the message
never made it as far as the list.  If, however, it is deemed important that
the author be notified of failure to be delivered to *the end user*, the proper
tool in this case is:

3798 Message Disposition Notification. T. Hansen, Ed., G. Vaudreuil,
     Ed.. May 2004. (Format: TXT=64049 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC2298) (Updates
     RFC3461, RFC2046) (Status: DRAFT STANDARD)

With immediate notification of non-delivery, an original author can choose
alternate ways to get the message delivered.  For time-sensitive messages,
this is an important capability.

If it's that time-sensitive, you really want full end-to-end linkage.

Of course, I'm writing this as somebody who *did* read a time-sensitive note
this morning - after I failed to see it all yesterday because I was busy
being ill.

Just sayin', ya know....