Re: Lists and aliases (Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) to Draft Standard (1))

2007-12-15 05:07:50

Valdis Klētnieks writes:
I'd be awfully curious to know what use-case it's actually interesting if the mail was *delivered* to all recipients, but *not* whether all recipients have actually read/processed the message.

Here in Germany there are two kinds of whatsitcalled, the kind of postal mail where delivery is recorded. The cheaper kind records delivery into the recipient's mailbox. It's used most of the time, so obviously there are use cases for it. The expensive kind records that the envelope is handed to the recipient personally.

Phrased differently - when is it interesting to know that the mail has been delivered into an abandoned mailbox that hasn't been read in 6 months?

My bank sends me lots of utterly mail that I am supposed to read within four weeks. If I don't I lose the right to have mistakes fixed. I'm sure the bank would like to know when I first had the opportunity to read the mail.

Arnt