Re: IPv6 addresses and IPv4 hosts

2008-04-17 09:52:22

--On Thursday, 17 April, 2008 08:19 -0400 Hector Santos
<hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com> wrote:

Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
I'm willing to take that on, unless anyone minds.

Arnt

If you wish help, I would be willing to pencil in the time.

I did begin last week an outline that I can pass on with
collected research of past work and industry experiences and
presentations highlight the major concerns and technical
issues with the current proposals.

I personally would like to suggest that this BCP be a guide to
help multiple audiences with a smooth transition to Ipv6

   - DNS Administration
   - System implementor/integrators, network engineers
   - Software Developers
   - Operators
   - End Users

Hector, fwiw, despite the pattern in some desktop systems to
require that everyone and their grandmother have the skills of
system and network administrators, I suggest that path is
ultimately a failure.  As a result, I believe that if end users
need to worry about what is happening at the Internet layer and
how to adjust to it, it would be a sign that all of the other
layers and actors in this process have failed.  I would rather
concentrate on not failing than on trying to inform end users --
people who see the mail system only through the MUAs or web
interfaces they use and the error messages they receive -- about
what is going on here.

There might be need for what the IETF used to call an FYI RFC to
explain some of the disconnects and the messages they cause to
those end users, but I'd think the entire effort would progress
better and more efficiently if they were kept separate.

    john