Re: IESG response fixes for 2821bis

2008-07-08 19:11:22

John C Klensin wrote:

--On Tuesday, 08 July, 2008 08:15 +0200 Frank Ellermann
<nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> wrote:

To be consistent with RFC 2821, this needs a header:
Updates: 1123

This has been done and presumably should have been on Tony's
list.  Tony, I've fixed the change log to call this out.

My eyes flew right by that one.

and

Suggestion: STD 66 (URI RFC 3986) defines an "IPv6address"
rule that could be referenced or copied.  It got the ABNF
cleaner than we got it here (and yes, that ABNF was my fault
in RFC 2821 but I recognize when someone else does it better).

I considered this and decided to let it go and did not receive
any comments from Tony to the contrary.   The existing ABNF is
not broken and it is late to be making changes.

Any suggestion of the form "it would be nice if" (compared to "this is wrong" or "such and such is out and out broken") always went through the filter of: is there a call for it to be done by enough people for there to be considered a consensus to do it. This particular suggestion fell in the category of insufficient backing.

        Tony Hansen
        tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com