Re: UUEncoding File Attachment

2010-01-28 17:00:46

Hector Santos <hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com> writes:

Don't disagree with you Russ.

But I guess I still have a compassion for legacy operations and
support. :)  Over the holidays, as I normally do every year, I go over
the source code to review with the ideas of "cleaning things up," maybe
updating a piece of code or module with a new method that is used
somewhere else perhaps, including deprecating/removing real old
"things."  Ironically, uuencoding was one of the items reviewed. But as
it is almost always the case, sudden something reminds you that it is
probably best to leave things alone.  I really don't care to see reports
from long time loyal customers who pays their monthly, quarterly or
annual product maintenance and support fees, but hardly heard from in a
long time say after an update, "Hey, what the hell happen here?"  No, I
rather not have that.

Oh, yeah, I completely agree that as a mail service provider, you have to
keep supporting it as long as people keep sending it.  I hadn't realized
that people were still sending it.  My objections are to the people who
are still sending it, not to the people who are dealing with it on the
receiving end.  Be conservative in what you send and liberal in what you
accept and all that.

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>