Re: UUEncoding File Attachment

2010-01-28 13:45:54

Russ Allbery wrote:

"Carl S. Gutekunst" <csg(_at_)alameth(_dot_)org> writes:
Russ Allbery wrote:

uuencode is still moderately common on Usenet.

Mostly for porn, AFAIK.

Yeah, the copyright violations have mostly switched to yEnc since it has
less bloat, so it's only the old-school porn posters who still use
uuencode.

Dumping undelimited uuencode "attachments" into a plain E-mail text body
is quite common in automated notifications from commercial applications.

Huh.  I suppose I should thank someone that I've never had to deal with
commercial applications living that many decades in the past.

Well, IMO, things don't have to always change just for the sake of "change." Sure, new applications entering the market have the luxury to pick and choose, but most long time established commercial systems do not just change things or deprecate things "just because" and frankly, I think it would be kinda "dumb" to drop support for something even if you might not always see it all the time.

But inevitable, in the mail world, once a new package (like gmail) reaches of level of penetration that reaches a wider server market at all levels, as did GMAIL, it will begin to see interoperability issues, as GMAIL did, and eventually has no choice but to "come around" to its senses.

To me, its a QA issue more than just technical.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com