Re: Mail Data termination

2011-08-18 18:18:19

ned+ietf-smtp(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

I don't think the practice of connection caching is particularly selfish when
compared to the cost of having the connection torn down and then re-established
with some frequency, when it's generally much cheaper for both the sender and
the receiver to just leave it open.

Exactly. Although it is necessarily up to the client to decide, the server also
benefits as long as the connection isn't cached for very long.

I can see this when two systems have prearranged dedicated channesl for high load exchanges, but in general, I disagree that it is "cheaper" and definitely not for the receiver. I don't see how that can be justified. Average SMTP session times last year of 10-15 seconds are now up to 4-7 minutes this year Thats better? I don't think so. If everyone did this, channel exhaustions will be realized much quicker. Its increase cost if one needs to scale up or out to satisfy their service loads and availability needs.

We need to consider changing the timeout after DATA response, waiting for QUIT or next transaction to at least 1 minute. The basic mail job was done, no need to wait 5 minutes at this point and this is especially the case when the majority of sessions are only single transactions.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com