RE: Received: and sending IP

2011-09-02 16:37:43

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Ellermann
[mailto:hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2011 12:50 PM
To: Murray S. Kucherawy
Cc: ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Received: and sending IP

IIRC many servers note the client (sender) IP as comment
only if it does not match any IP of the EHLO name, but I
guess that is not your question.

Yes, it's a comment.  But still others show the name (if any) and the IP (in
all cases).

The question is really: Why a comment and not an additional preposition
clause?

As I understand it, the feeling was that introducing a new formal clause
was likely to break extant parsers for this stuff.

I personally did not and do not agree with this choice, but the consensus
went the other way, and now the installed base is kinda difficult to ignore.

                                Ned