Re: Received: and sending IP

2011-09-03 01:22:30

Hector Santos wrote:

Just to make sure I am following the question, are you referred to the angle bracketed domain literal?

Oops, meant square bracketed domain literals.

If so, insights predating 1995-2000 DRUMS years with the 1982 RFC821 and the 1989 "Holy Bible" RFC1123 and the already existing Received: header format would help with the prior art. RFC1123 cleared it up:

      5.2.8  DATA Command: RFC-821 Section 4.1.1

         Every receiver-SMTP (not just one that "accepts a message for
         relaying or for final delivery" [SMTP:1]) MUST insert a
         "Received:" line at the beginning of a message.  In this line,
         called a "time stamp line" in RFC-821:

         *    The FROM field SHOULD contain both (1) the name of the
              source host as presented in the HELO command and (2) a
              domain literal containing the IP address of the source,
              determined from the TCP connection.

         *    The ID field MAY contain an "@" as suggested in RFC-822,
              but this is not required.

         *    The FOR field MAY contain a list of <path> entries when
              multiple RCPT commands have been given.

Is this what you are referring to?

RFC821 says:

         Sometimes a host is not known to the translation function and
         communication is blocked.  To bypass this barrier two numeric
         forms are also allowed for host "names".  One form is a decimal
         integer prefixed by a pound sign, "#", which indicates the
         number is the address of the host.  Another form is four small
         decimal integers separated by dots and enclosed by brackets,
         e.g., "[123.255.37.2]", which indicates a 32-bit ARPA Internet
         Address in four 8-bit fields.

I will note murray, I don't seem to recall any special thinking other than taking what HELO field value and doing a macro replacing for the Received template:

But I also do recall looking at RFC822 messages to see what other receivers were doing for the Received: trace line, not just for this but for other informations to add.