Re: We need an IETF BCP for GREY LISTING

2011-10-16 17:53:22

My long 30 years of mail engineering experience has given me the position and view that non-timely delivery (i.e. unreasonable hindrance) is the exception and not the rule. I don't believe the industry would of endured such a poor history of operations and I believe, possibly unlike some others, all mail systems were designed to deliver mail in a timely matter. I would certainly get out of the market if this system became a "game" with laissez-faire attitudes that SMTP is a matter of just flipping a coin, heads and tails. No, I still believe there is a strong ethical engineering responsibility by the majority of the SMTP systems, in total that make it all work, who still believe timely delivery is important. If that was not the case, for me, I would of been long out of the market.

That said, I do worry that Greylisting (GL) is growing with a varying non-consistency - overhead are increasings. There is no IETF guideline and IMTO, its about time it did. I recall, not too long ago, many key people here thought GL was wrong (hence the idea of a IETF I-D was not even a consideration) and today, you see these same people are GL implementators. So attitudes have changed to accept GL with an effective slightly lower the "SMTP Quality" in the name of SPAM.

Its the same thing with CBV (Callback Verification). CBV works wonderfully, but its not something I would recommend to be used widely. It would not scale. Its not something everyone can do.

I am suggesting that we begin to nip this GL bud before it gets out of hand, when every server you hit has implemented GL and if left as is, in essence, every transaction will now take two or more attempts.

Just imagine if GMAIL.COM began to do Greylisting? One can stand maybe YAHOO with its GL derivative, but with more of the bigger ESPs doing the same thing, and it will get out of hand.

I will say that if left as is, the SMTP recommendation of an initial short delay, is not effective any more - you might as well leave it to 1 hr per each attempt and you might be better off for non-wasteful deliveries.