Re: SMTP traffic control

2011-10-17 09:03:40

On 10/13/2011 5:08 PM, Claus Assmann wrote:

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011, Dave CROCKER wrote:

What client implementors will add this to their code?  What server

I will.

Individual statements do not justify an international standards effort. What is needed is a basis for assessing likely /industry/ adoption. A few individuals are not a representative sample of an industry.

In other words, no matter how nice this all sounds -- and I happen
to agree that it does sound nice -- it's /very/ expensive to add to
the infrastructure and it needs a good indication that it will be
adopted.  Where is the market 'pull' for the benefits this will
provide?

Sorry, I'm not in marketing, I simply implement things I like.

That's fine, but it's a very different job, with a very different skillset, for determining what industry standards need to be developed. To a large extent, the latter /does/ require the ability to assess a (likely) market.

"Build it and they will come"?

which usually proves wrong.

standards are extremely expensive to create and deploy. their success should not be a matter of pure gambling.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking