Re: SMTP traffic control

2011-10-13 17:30:23

On Oct 13, 2011, at 5:41 PM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

In other words, no matter how nice this all sounds -- and I happen to agree
that it does sound nice -- it's /very/ expensive to add to the infrastructure
and it needs a good indication that it will be adopted.  Where is the market
'pull' for the benefits this will provide?

Before we invest any significant amount of energy in this idea, I'd like to
hear from a few large mail service operators who think they'd implement this
(on client and/or server ends) and benefit from it.

(The reason I say "large" is that unless there are some providers that generate
or accept a significant volume of traffic involved, I have a difficult time
imagining how this would help many users other than in a very marginal way.
That's not to say that it wouldn't be useful to some.  The question is,  how
many sites and users would benefit in comparison to the potential for
disruption?)

Keith