SMTP traffic control (was Re: We need an IETF BCP for GREY LISTING

2011-10-13 10:14:03

On Oct 13, 2011, at 7:51 AM, John Levine wrote:

So, if the server says 'retry in 1 hour', and the client retries every 5
minutes, that's no crisis, just a wasted bit of effort for the client
and the server. ....

Since the number of MTAs vastly exceeds the number of greylisters,
don't you think it would be better for greylisters to work with the
existing retry schedules that MTAs use than to try to persuade a
million MTAs to implement a new feature that is of at best marginal
use to them?

We're not talking about greylisting, and haven't been for quite a
few levels of this thread. We're talking about use of 4xx deferrals
for traffic management and prioritization.

Cheers,
  Steve