Re: SMTP traffic control

2011-10-24 10:36:02

Hi Paul,

I disagree with the "pain point" criteria being used a barrier to address a recognized issue. Pain is a subjective concept and as in humans, even mail systems have different tolerance for "pain." I really hope we don't measure the need to move forward to improve the "ills" of the system by waiting until XYZ system gets a belly aches and it becomes a pain in the neck for them.

When I see my MTA wasting attempts, delaying the mail delivery - that is "pain" to me and my customers because it isn't working for them as well as they wish it will. I am tired of having to answer customer questions such as

       "Why it taking so long to send this message and fast to
        send that another message?"

or

       "I thought by using DKIM, these rejections were going to go away."

Go figure. So that guys "pains" if we to put it in those terms, is felt by us as well.

In ideal terms, some AI is required. MTAs need to learn on a PER remote site basis how they are accepting/rejecting transactions. For example, it might learn that XYZ domain required 10 mins delays. It may learn this after it initial first time transaction of 4 attempts and 20 minutes, and maybe use a binary 50% cut the next time, etc.

This is too much. The simple solution is to not to try to figure out the server's reasons but to propose a simple data point it can expose the idea:

      "ok, you rejected me, when do you want me to try again?"

I really don't care what the server reasons are and I don't wish to add tons of dollars and time to research a super advanced queuing concept that most likely isn't to work across the board anyway by using a Guessing Game on retries.