Re: new draft: draft-santos-smtpgrey-01

2011-10-26 10:04:03

I've mentioned this to Hector directly, but my feeling is that while an SMTP extension can be useful, I think tying it to Greylisting is a bad idea. If what we're looking for is a way within a SMTP response to indicate a retry time for the sending MTA, this can and SHOULD be a generic specification and not one tied to a single application. Something along the lines of what is in the Atkins proposal seems more reasonable to me (http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-atkins-smtp-traffic-control/).

Best Regards,

-- Tim

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hector" <sant9442(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:04 PM
Subject: new draft: draft-santos-smtpgrey-01

Title           : SMTP Service Extension for Greylisting Operations
Author(s)       : Hector Santos
                          Evan Harris
Filename        : draft-santos-smtpgrey-01.txt
Pages           : 18
Date            : 2011-10-26

   GREYLIST is a SMTP extension to formalize the widely supported
   Greylisting mail filtering method and to help support SMTP rejected
   transports by following a new formal structured 4yz server temporary
   rejection response by including a "retry=time-delay" tag string which
   SMTP clients can use to optimize the rescheduling of the mail
   delivery attempts.  With adoption, network overhead reduction in
   wasteful mail delivery attempts will be realized.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:

text: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-santos-smtpgrey-01.txt
html: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-santos-smtpgrey-01

I would like to extend my grateful appreciation to the interested parties, onlist, offlist and lurking members of the Greylist-user support group, who provided input and assisted with the new draft. Thanks.

==
HLS