Re: Putting it all together

2011-10-30 03:53:11

On 30/10/2011 03:57, Hector Santos wrote:

It seems to me ID2 and ID3 are very different since as I understand there is no enforcement in ID2 where its a critical part for ID3.

I think you're over complicating it.

From the point of view of the client AND server, the wait:xxx response doesn't care whether it's enforced or not. The enforcement is a part of the greylisting system, not a part of the protocol enhancement.

The server should not penalise a client which ignores its wait:xxx hints (eg it may choose to do so, if it sees 'wait:100000'), so, in fact, the 'wait:xxx' response is not enforced separately. The enforcement is there already with greylisting

Similarly, a server which is down for an hour, implicitly 'enforces' attempts to reconnect before that hour is up, but it shouldn't be part of a spec that it should do so, it just happens. All the 'wait:xxx' enhancement is, is a bit of helpful info for the client, if it wants to use it.