Re: new draft: draft-santos-smtpgrey-01

2011-10-28 05:40:59

On 28 Oct 2011, at 09:01, Hector Santos <hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Tony Finch wrote:
The original motivation for this draft was to work around problems caused by
silly retry or greylisting configurations. Fixing the silly configurations
is the right way to deal with the problem.

How do we fix the silly configs?  With suggestions for values?

Firstly by contacting the postmaster at the other site with which you are
having interop problems. If you can point to an rfc like Murray's that may help.

I don't see how your draft reduces the need for this kind of liaison or how it
can help with your example of a silly one day greylist blocking period.

Ok, I bite, what are your recommendations for:

Server:

  Blocking Time:  ___ secs/mins

Short. There's little point in sending more than one 450, to prove the sender
retries.

  Record (sender recording) Expiration Time:  ____ secs/mins/hours/days

Something like a week.

Client:  Retry Frequencies

RFC 5321 has guidelines. You need to try many more than four times!

and I presume the fix means that EVERYONE has to use the same values at all
servers and clients?

Of course not.

Tony.
--