Re: [ietf-smtp] Reject messages on backup mail exchangers when primary MX is online

2013-02-27 22:17:16
Frankly, I view the backup MX case as one of less interest than that
of SMTP proxies. And as you and others have noted there are other problems
that need solving in the MX space. But why should we insist on solving them all
at once?

Seems like an interesting direction to go.  I see two somewhat
different scenarios, live proxy, in which the proxy runs the inbound
and outbound SMTP sessions at the same time (what filtering spam
proxies typically do), and sequential proxy in which the proxy runs
the inbound session, then does the outbound session.

I realize that a lot of this goes on already, but are the people who
do it likely to be interested in making their stuff more plug-and-play?

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet