Re: [ietf-smtp] Reject messages on backup mail exchangers when primary MX is online

2013-02-26 11:33:15
On 2/24/2013 3:57 AM, Evert Mouw wrote:
Hi Hector,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

There is nothing that says one is better than the other.  All it is is a
pool for the sender to use.  The preference is just that, a "hint" for
the sender to begin with.   The sender concern is delivering the mail to
the destination - period.  How the host farm of receivers is
inconsequential.
That is not consistent with RFC 5321: "MX records contain a preference
indication that MUST be used in sorting if more than one such record
appears". [ http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321 ]  So the receiving party
can expect that the MX with the lowest preference number is tried first
by a well-behaved sender. If you want "just a pool", give them all the
same preference number.

It all a pool, which is what many do but only from the standpoint of preferred machines to reach first. It really has nothing to do with filtering is what I am saying, so despite the order of machines, all of them must ultimately be equal in terms of sender expectation for acceptance and delivery. It really doesn't matter who is called first or last. The host playing games with whatever logic to alter classification of senders is entirely up to them. but whether it was MX-FIRST or MX-LAST that was tried by the sender, if the mail is received, the senders job is done and the expectation for delivery is intact. There should be no difference that MX-LAST receiving the mail first is going to be any different than MX-FIRST receiving the mail first as preferred by the host system.

That is true, although personally I don't like GreyListing that much. [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting#Disadvantages ]

Been developing and using greylisting for 9+ years in our package and everyone loves it. You have to make it work for your customers with advanced fast whitelisting ideas and with support for advanced "Smart" MTA ideas like SMTPGREY (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-santos-smtpgrey-02) its fits in better.

Nonetheless, we like it or not, it is out there and it only because the idea of using different MX for different things was not really expected. I sincerely doubt Greylisting would of taken off as it did if such was the case. I know I would have never bother to develop for it and implement in products, which was done reluctantly. A waste of time if there was an MX idea that the secondary forced call could be problematic. I would had never supported Greylisting at any level. Don't think so, nor do I think would it has been pursued by many.

If a host has its own "special" rules for filtering/moving data
differently, then thats on it only.  Senders has no idea or guideline
there other than the preference order but that should NOT make a
different what the actual order of machine calls is.  They all must
ultimately do what is expected, delivery/relay the message to the target
address.
Yes it MUST make a difference in the actual order of machines tried by
the sender, see RFC 5321. Of course the actual result can diverge from
what is tried.
Yes, but I hope we can agree that it ultimately doesn't matter, otherwise we will have a real problem out there and I don't think we do, in this regard. Retry strategies are complex. You have to have a Retry concept and having a pool of different paths or just a different computer is fundamentally required. Fortunately, with hardware advancement, at least among smaller operators or sites, its one or two single machine it runs 24x7x365 and if down, at least downtime at 4-5 days or so. The super major majority (over 95% in my view) has been able to handle that - otherwise, email would never had exploded like it did. :)

I think the "backup" concern was basically a secondary connection
concept - a 2nd place to go just in case the first machine was down or
that connection was failing.
Indeed. All I really wanted was something to punish senders that do not
even try to send their mail to the MX with the lowest preference number.

With the current framework, this would hurt the SMTP transport and delivery process as we know it today. It will also alter Queuing Strategies, in my design opinion, drastically. In other words, it would "punish" the good guys too, and that include those who have advanced queuing methods.

I think the better approach is to "teach" the MTA how mail can be received and delivered more efficiently without wasted retries and delays. New SMTP extensions that attempt to inform clients about server/hosting attributes. That will probably mean a new DNS Server Policy discovery concept like the old Fidonet NODELIST which provided clients delivery times and whats was allowed to be transferred to servers. It even told clients when to use the BACKUP routing path guaranteed by FTSC policy to be always deliverable. The SMTPGREY proposal attempts to provide some reject intelligence to help the MTA reschedule its 2nd try. We have proof of concept that it indeed works in practice.

But this extension to more about reaching a higher success rate with minimal attempts, i.e. making it at the 2nd attempt at most. What you are proposing is to maximize success at the 1st attempt.

This is why its a complex queuing issue. Suppose I have 1000 messages for 1000 people at the same domain? How will you do the sending? Do all go to the first MX? Do you spread it? Are you shooting for fast throughput? What is the better queuing strategy? Does one fit all? Does all receivers behave the same? etc, etc. If your idea was to make that MX-FIRST better than MX-LAST, I think it will drastically change how mail is moved. If one is punished by trying MX-LAST (and how do you monitor this btw?), then rest assured many won't bother trying these last MX expanded ips. They will just try the retries at the MX-FIRST sites.

--
HLS